Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Schoolboy Q Panel at A3C

The BQE 718’s Jayson Rodriguez and Shaheem Reid presented a Q&A panel with Schoolboy Q at Atlanta’s Melia Hotel during A3C, the day of the Black Hippy’s headlining Revolt TV performance. The ballroom filled up quickly with fans and upcoming artists interested in hearing about the intriguing rapper, who always has a lot to say. The “Yay Yay” rapper spoke candidly regarding his upcoming album, his TDE comrades, especially regarding the BET cyphers and of course, the infamous “Control” verse.
After stating that his upcoming freshman album, Oxymoron, is officially completed and that he was able to work with many people that were on his bucket list, such as Pharrell, who reached out to him, Schoolboy dove headfirst into the topics on everyone’s minds – Kendrick and “Control”.
“Kendrick is my competition. I don’t go out and f*ck with somebody just because they’re hot right now. You’ve never heard Q put out a song with somebody just because of who they are. I’m focused on music. My homies are my competition. I’m trying to be better than Ab Soul, Kendrick and Jay Rock. I tell them that all the time. They’re my favourite artists, but at the same time, I’m trying to take pride in my shit,” he says.
When asked about where he found out about the infamous “Control” verse for the first time, Q admitted that it was on Twitter like everyone else and how exactly he reacted.
“I don’t really tweet so much anymore, I just scroll and see what’s up. And that was all I saw, people talking about, “are you mad that he didn’t say you name” and shit like that, but whatever, I don’t care about that verse. F*ck that verse, I’m hating. F*ck Kendrick Lamar,” Schoolboy joked. The ballroom laughed along, eating up every word of the comedic emcee.
After talking sports with the two radio broadcasters, Q wrapped up the interview and took a moment to take photos with fans, before exiting the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment