Sunday, December 9, 2012

Q&A with Haley Small

Toronto’s 19-year-old R&B singer/songwriter Haley Small, who recently joined forces with Disturbing Tha Peace’s Ebony Son Management has finally found her voice and is ready to share herself with her city at her upcoming showcase at Revival on December 29.
HOW HAS IT BEEN FOR YOU AFTER RECENTLY SIGNING TO EBONY SON MANAGEMENT? It’s been awesome! I met Jay Dixon, who is my manager now, two years ago, and we were working together on and off and eventually we decided to unofficially partner up and try and get things going for my career so that worked really well. We recorded a lot of music. He came down to Toronto and I went to LA, we took a bunch of different trips and then after a certain period of time we felt like having more of a team on board would have been great. His brothers are Chaka Zulu and Jeff Dixon from Disturbing Tha Peace and Ebony Son is obviously owned by DTP so he showed them the music and I went down to Atlanta and met them and they were down to come on to the project. We decided to join forces and it’s been great because it’s another bunch of people working towards the same goal. Ever since then, I’ve just been going back and forth to Atlanta and recording with different producers.
HOW ARE YOU USING THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT TO PROPEL YOUR CAREER? Ebony Sons, obviously being owned by DTP and having the success of Ludacris, they have a lot of connections, so using it to get heard and have the right people hear what I’m doing and get to know me. The advice from people that have been a success story already has been great, letting me know what I need to be doing and working with different people that can shed insight on different things vocally, musically, business wise and promotion wise.
WHAT WAS SOME OF THE ADVICE YOU WERE GIVEN? The last time I went down to Atlanta, I felt like I really found myself, which is something that I feel artists have to take time to do. For me, I grew up mimicking people and not really knowing what I want to sound like. Eventually, I realized I needed to find my own sound. I worked with a guy named J-Rel in the studio for about a week and he helped me define my sound and really pushed my limits in the studio, which helped me, grow vocally. When I got back to Toronto, I felt different, that my voice was defined and I knew more where I was going.
WHAT CAN PEOPLE EXPECT FROM YOUR UPCOMING SHOW AT REVIVAL ON DECEMBER 29? I know a lot of people haven’t heard a lot of my original music, because over the years, I’ve created so much, but I never put anything out, for a lot of different reasons. I was always scared to put music out, because I didn’t really know my sound, but over the past year and a half, I’ve really found that sound so I really want to share that with everyone and put on a good show and have fun. I want people to get a sense of who I am, through the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment