Saturday, November 10, 2012

Q Parker Q&A

All eyes are on Q Parker, as he emerges from the shadows of the legendary, Grammy-winning R&B group, 112, to venture onto a solo career by releasing his freshman album The MANual this month. He is back with a vengeance in hopes of satisfying his female fans with his smooth vocals and perspective on what women need.
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BREAK OUT FROM THE GROUP AND INTO YOUR SOLO CAREER? It feels wonderful. I like to say that 112 put me in the best position to start my venture into my solo career. You know how it is as a professional athlete to go through high school ball and college ball to finally reach the NBA, I feel like 112 prepared me, and any of us for that matter, for a solo career so I’ve been enjoying it, I’ve been implementing a lot of the same strategies and ways of doing things that 112 and Puffy instilled in us. I’ve been having fun with it.
WHAT WAS THE RECORDING PROCESS LIKE FOR THE MANUAL? I have my own studio so as I think of ideas and as I think of things I want to say, I just go in the studio and get with the producers and have a conversation about what we want to do with this particular song and from that point on, let the creative minds go in and do what they do. Once I come up with the lyrics, I just go in there, open my mouth and let it come out as it may.
WHAT WERE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES FROM RECORDING THE MANUAL TO WORKING WITH 112? With the group, I go in and do my verse or background vocals, and then I tag the next man in. But with The MANual, it’s all me and that is something that at the beginning, I wasn’t so sure that I wanted to take on that task, but once I got into the thick of things, it became easy for me. I accepted the challenge, because as a solo artist, you have to do it all. You have to reel [listeners] in, you have to keep their attention, you have to take them somewhere and when it’s done, you have to have an experience with them musically and that’s something that I didn’t have to do so much as a member of 112, because I played my role. Whenever my number was called, I stepped up and assumed my position, but as a solo artist, everything is on your shoulders… Once I finally decided that I wanted to do a solo record, my mission was to service my female fans. I felt like there needs to be somebody that can directly speak to ladies and not to knock any other male artist, but I’m taking on that task. I know and understand what ladies want from their man from the perspective of their man. I know ladies want to be talked to, touched, made love to, treated and catered to a certain way and I’m expressing my views on that through my music.
HOW HAVE YOU GROWN SINCE THE PUBLIC LAST SEEN YOU? I’m much more mature. I’ve been watching how the landscape of the music industry has changed and just be able to adapt, adjust from my older teachings of the industry and implement them to my way of doings things now. During that time away, it gave me a renewed sense of determination and focus. I wanted to come out here and show that I am a viable part in this industry and that I can compete musically with the big dogs and so far, I think [my team’s] been doing a great job.
WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU FIT IN WITH TODAY’S R&B? I think I have some things that separate me. My voice is my voice. When you hear my voice, you’re going to hear the remnants of 112, but you’re also going to hear and really know who Q Parker is and I believe that if you put me toe to toe with any other male artist, I can definitely stand on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment