Monday, February 22, 2010

K'naan at Humber

Keinan Abdi Warsame, known as K’naan, the 31-year old rapper/poet from Somalia visited Humber today to talk about Black History Month.

“I don’t really know what to talk about. People usually have their own ideas about what they want me to talk about.” He said. “I get bored talking about my self.”

He opened the platform up to students to ask questions. Conversation evolved from questions about Warsame’s personal background, to the Somalian war, to Black History Month, to future music he plans on making, and where he gets his inspiration.

The Somalian-born rapper escaped the Civil War, and moved to Toronto when he was 14. He grew up in Rexdale, and began trying to adapt to Canadian culture.

“My first mission was to learn English.” Warsame shared about when he first moved here. “My entire senses were different. This was the beginning of my art – the adaptation process as an immigrant.”

Warsame took his experiences, and used them as inspiration to make music. “The most courageous thing is to take your experiences, and do something with them.” He shared. “I wrote my pain into success.”

Somalia is a nation of poets. His aunt Magool, was one of Somalia’s most legendary singers, and his grandfather Haji Mohamed was also a famous poet. . “They operate their social and political discourses in poetry.” Warsame shared. “Part of my life there was beautiful, but some was dangerous.”

K’naan shared his story of fleeing his war torn country, and the repercussions it brought upon his life. He was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, and survivor guilt. “It tormented me” He said.

When asked about Black History Month, and what it means to be black, Warsame spoke in poetry.

“I didn’t know I was black, because everyone is black where I’m from. I only became black when I moved to North America. Before, I was just human.” Warsame spoke.

K’naan has exploded on to the hip hop scene. His song, “Waving Flag”, has just been picked up as the World Cup theme song. He has alredy toured with Jason Mraz, Wale, K-OS, Lenny Kravitz, and Damian Marley. Warsame was able to record his album in Bob Marley’s house in Jamaica. He was the first artist since Marley’s death to be given the keys of his house to record in.

He also spilled the secret that he just recorded new tracks with NAS, Jay-Z, and a song Canadian artists Drake, and Justin Beiber.

“Right now, musically, people are looking at Toronto.” He said.

Humber welcomed K’naan for taking the time to come share his story. This young artist is just beginning his success story, and has much more great things to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment